6-11-09
So. My last 24 hours-give or take-have been pretty interesting? I had a delay in Houston, which caused me to miss my international flight, which caused me to spend more money, which is almost causing me to stress? Almost. I did find that $500 is just more than 300 euros. Back to the travel stories, though?
I flew out of Denver on Tuesday, June 9th at 9:00 am. I landed in Houston around noon, I think? We were supposed to take off at 1:15 and land in New York around 6? We didn’t leave Houston until 5:30. This, obviously, will make making a 9 pm New York departure pretty sneaky? LUCKILY!!! I was flying in to LaGuardia, from Houston, and I was supposed to fly out of JFK. So, really, not too big of a deal. Guess I should have checked what airports I was SUPPOSED to use and what airports I was ACTUALLY using? Lesson learned. All this means is that my travel stories’ plots’ thickened a little sooner than planned?
While on delay in Houston, I called Aer Lingus. I had to see what needed to be done about missing my flight. This, in all actuality, is when I found out I biffed it. So, I’m talking to dude from Aer Lingus trying to get it all figured out, he asked if Continental would help me out any, he was really cool, so I put him on hold to ask the Continental people what’s up? Except the hold button doesn’t work? So…I hung up on him. Not too big of a deal, I’ll call back, right? Talking to Continental, I realize they’re finally boarding my flight to NY. I made the decision that I should at least get to NYC and figure it out from there.
When I get to NY, I call Aer Lingus to try to get it all put together. Their service center closed. The airport was a ghost town. Yeah. Spent the night on the floor at JFK. I did get to ride in New York’s subway system? LaGuardia to JFK. That was pretty cool? Interesting thing that public transportation is? Anyway…Got a few short naps in here and there? Did I mention I didn’t bring my cell phone and all of the airport WiFi places cost money? Sorry, not going to pay $9.95 for a days use of the internet. I digress. So, after my restful night, I start calling Aer Lingus at 8 am EST and trying to get it all figured out. Good news! A flight leaves NY tonight! But, it’s going to be an extra $700. Bad idea. I could wait until Friday and it would only be $400 more? Decided I had to try something else.
I had to get to Boston! So, I hop an Amtrak from NYC to Boston. It was about 9:30 at the time, so I had until 11 to get from JFK to Penn Station. I load up another metro card, and head to the subway. Get on the subway and a guy asks for my ticket. I had him my metro card and he looks at me. I then realized the E subway, which costs $2, is NOT the same thing as the Long Island Railroad, which costs $10. It does go straight to the station as opposed of the subway which would have taken me a few blocks away. The gentleman was very nice. “Don’t worry about it.” Ok. I won’t. Thanks, man.
I got to ride a train! It’s about a 3 hour train ride to Boston. It was really nice. On a random note…it’s 1:20 am on the east coast and 6:20 in Dublin. Who needs sleep? ME!!! I don’t know what’s going on? I’m about to board a flight to Rome. I’ll be there around 11:30 this morning. Think it’s a 5 hour difference-ish? Where was I? Train…yes. I made it to Boston with time to spare, got everything squared away, and now I’m no longer in America? Pretty crazy. It is Thursday, I think? So, I’ll be in Rome a day later than planned? I think? I’m a little confused.
The people in NYC were all nice. I wish I would have had a little more time in Boston? I think I really like old east coast ocean towns? Ok. I’m going to go ahead and say it. There are always, ALWAYS, beautiful women in airports. There. It’s out there. I mean…YO!? Think it’s about time to board up for Rome. Maybe I can get a little nap in? I watched “Taken” on the Dublin flight. Then, on the same flight, I met 3 female recent high school grads that are on the first leg of their European vacation. Ugh. Intense. God be with them.
It's now 5 pm in Rome on Thursday. I made it. I guess it's 10 am back home? I don't really know how long I've been on the road? I would like to go to Dublin, though? I was there briefly and it was beautiful on the flight out. We went over the Alps. I'll try to figure out how to get some pics posted? Thank for the camera, Josh.
I really can't think straight anymore, so I'm going to wrap this post up. I'll write some more later.
No comments:
Post a Comment