Friday, June 19, 2009

A beggar...

Don't be offended by anything I'm about to say. It's my opinion and nothing more. That being said...here I go?

I've been walking around this city and stopping in some of the ancient basilicas. I am absolutely amazed at the ability of some artists. They're able to create! That is a talent I don't really have? These churches are their expressions of worship. I respect that so much! I really do! I've also been learning a lot of the history of the Catholic Church. Interesting...Religion in and of itself is also fascinating?

For me, and no one else, but for me, I would rather worship my Creator in His Creation, not mans'. I was hanging out in the basilica Mussolini attended during WWII. One of the most amazing places I have ever seen. There is SO much history there. There is a hole in the wall, near the ceiling where a ray of light can enter. They used this as a calender. It's still VERY accurate. There are paintings and sculptures everywhere. It's still used for worship services today. 

As I was sitting there, admiring the art, it started to hit me? I really like being outside when I approach the throne of mercy. Brennan Manning, in his life changing book, "The Ragamuffin Gospel" uses the term, "a beggar at the door of mercy." There are, at nearly all of the basilicas, beggars at the doors. 

I realized that I am nothing but a beggar at the door of the throne of grace. I am begging for peace. I am begging for mercy. I am begging for sanity. I am begging for rest. I approach my Creator asking for peace. Mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual peace. I ask Him to allow me to pursue peace of mind, body, and soul. Because He loves me, He grants me that peace. 

I find my peace, sanity, and rest when I believe He loves me. I don't need to know how or why He does, I just need enough faith to believe He does. I don't need a building, preacher, priest, or anyone or anything other than my Creator and His creation. Because He loves me, I am able to see, hear, touch, taste, smell, and live. It's that simple. 

When I try to make religion or church or anything else my "place" of worship, I miss it. I miss out the simplicity of the love my Creator has for me. I appreciate the buildings and the men and women that have dedicated their lives to showing their appreciation. I need to find how I express my love and appreciation to my Creator. "May the words of my mouth, and the meditations of my heart, be pleasing to You." 

I've seen where the church has entered the picture. Literally. I've seen the buildings that were ordered to be destroyed or altered because they were pagan symbols. I've seen the art that was altered. It's very interesting. I see, everyday, how the "church" has gained its power. 

This post is NOT an attack on the church or anyone affiliated with it. This is NOT an attack on organized religion. This is my way of processing history and making my own. In my life, simplicity HAS to reign. God's love is VERY simple. I want it to reign. He loves me. Because He loves me, I should probably try to love myself? I want to find how He wants me to worship. 

I spent some time thinking about whether or not God likes me? I think He does. I think He wants to spend time with me. I want to spend time thanking Him for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment