I went to Croatia. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. It was an amazing vacation. I just relaxed. I spent time on the beach, climbed a little bit, ate some awesome Croatian food, stared at some of the best sunsets I've ever seen, star gazed, read, wrote, meditated, prayed, and un-wound. It was great.
That was the first time I've ever visited a foreign country on my own. Traveling solo is really neat. While it would have been great to share that time with someone, I was able to do the things I wanted to do. I was able to be selfish. I was able to spend some time in solitude.
When I moved to Europe, I was hoping to get to a point where I could spend time alone. That has always been a fear of mine; being alone. The problem I had with solitude is the fact that there is always someone there. Me. I don't always like myself, and I've always had a harder time loving myself. I guess solitude is one of those things, like so many others, that takes a few times to get used to. Being alone is now something I desire to make a big part of my life. That's a miracle.
I'm also realizing how amazing the opportunity to move Europe is, was, and will be. I think one of the most amazing things about it, is the fact that I have NO PRESSURE. My friends and family encouraged me to come here. No matter how long I stay, I am still loved and accepted. Even if I "fail" the people who love me, still love me. That takes any perceived pressure off of me. There's no pressure to perform. I can just live life. I can live loved. And it's good.
You're right, solo travel is tricky - all that time with just your own company. But as you and I can both attest, you never know who you'll meet along the way, whether it's just for a day or a lifetime!
ReplyDeleteIt's worth the effort, and when you realise you're the kind of person you could like, it's easy to let others do the same :)