The land lady had a 2 months' advance in rent, as a deposit from the last tenant. She was supposed to use that deposit to pay off all of the remaining bills. By law, she is supposed to have that deposit on hand, seeing how it is a "Deposit" meaning it is supposed to be returned. Evidently, she spent the money on something else.
Because electricity isn't free, there were past bills that weren't paid. I paid a bill yesterday that was from 2008. Needless to say, I wasn't living here then. SO, I paid her bills her for her.I actually paid 5 different bills for her. I came home from work on Wed to find that my power was out.
In my crazy mind, I would think that getting all of the bills paid and copies of the paid bills faxed to the power company would result in my power being turned back on. Low and behold...No. I paid her bills and faxed the copies to the power company by 8:30 yesterday morning. In any normal place, the power would have been back on when I returned home from work at 3:30. Not here.
I was told I had to wait at my apartment for someone to come turn it on this morning. I waited. They showed up. Did they ring the buzzer for me to let them up? No! It's an "electric buzzer..." So, in summation; I've paid someone else's bills and I still have no power. On a positive note, the food in my fridge doesn't stink, so maybe it'll still be good?
I'm going to deduct the paid bills from next months rent. I'm also going to deduct the lost money from the room guests that had to be moved. I'm strongly considering deducting groceries. And, on top of that, a little hidden tax for the massive pain in my ass this has become. I missed work today, waiting for the power company.
I'm struggling to understand how Italy is in the "G8"? How can one of the 8 most industrialized countries in the world be this inefficient? Is the rest of the world that shitty? I have struggled, since getting here, with the lack of organization in this country.
Let me be clear about this one thing: I am operating from an American perspective. I am also trying to understand cultural differences. I am really, really struggling, to understand "Italian Business Ethics." I have NO idea where there M.O. for business is coming from? Nothing about how things are run here seems to make sense to me? That's fine. Maybe this is pushing me to learn?
I don't understand how, if, they can turn my power off when I'm not there, why can't they turn it on when I am there? Why don't the people in the field have walkie-talkies, or even cell phones?
Dispatch: "Hey Guiseppe, can you get to VillaFranca and flip the power on? Thanks."
Guiseppe: "Yeah. I'm over on Cavour, but I'll head there as soon as I'm finished here."
Ugh. Alas, I am without power. Again, the power isn't the real issue in my mind. The fact that I am the one left holding the bag because my land lady is a dumb bitch is what gets me. The fact that I had to lose house guests-who pay my rent-because of her, is annoying. The fact that I had to get up early, yesterday, and pay her bills bothers me. The fact that I am missing work is....well, bitter sweet. Buying more groceries because of her problem is not the most comforting thought.
But. At the end of the day, I can get over this. Yes. I'm pissed. Yes. I said things, and thought things, that probably were not the kindest. I am human. I make mistakes. As does my land lady. Perhaps, I can find it in my heart to forgive her? Perhaps...We'll see.
I'm trying to get to the root of why not having power for a few days is bothering me this much? It's not like it's put a damper on my social life? I'm not really that upset about losing house guests? An extra day off work is never a bad thing? It was almost time to hit the grocery store anyway?
Maybe it's the principle of the thing? Maybe it's getting punished for someone else's screw up? Maybe it's the fact that something that should so easily be fixed is turning into a 3 day ordeal...at least? Maybe I'm incapable of compassion or forgiveness? Maybe I'm sick and tired of Rome? I don't really know? Maybe it's all of that stuff? Maybe it's a lot more? Maybe it's none of it?
All I know is this: Not having power isn't that big of a deal. Get over it, Daniel. Stop whining. It's annoying, even to me. Of all the things in this world, this is probably not one to get pissed about. Take a deep breath and enjoy living in Rome. I'm sorry-to whomever is reading this-that you have to listen to me vent. I'm sure there are things going on in your life that would crush my petty little power problem. I hope you are coping with your life better than I seem to be coping with mine.
haha! Wow. After some proofreading, I'm basically throwing a tantrum that I'm not getting my way. Life happens. Perhaps I can look at a bigger picture? Perhaps I can try to re-focus on things that matter? Perhaps I just wasted a lot of your time and mine? I hope you are not dumber for having read this...I hope it finds you well!
No comments:
Post a Comment